I’ve never studied before so what course should I start with; Certificate or Diploma?

We suggest you start with the Certificate course. As you build confidence with studying you can switch to the Diploma course at any time.

How do I access these courses?

There are many ways – either through polytechnics or business schools. There are several methods of learning; either face-to-face, by correspondence or learning on-line. There are many advantages to all methods but your costs, time availability and ease of access to learning needs to be considered.

Whilst there are many education providers who deliver the IMNZ business papers within the Certificate and Diploma in Practice Management (Health) qualifications, the health papers within the qualifications are currently only provided by Northec.

You may find it easier to enrol with your local education provider for all papers except for the Health paper or you may choose to enrol with Nortec to complete all the papers onlin.

Please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. portfolio holder if you have any queries.

If I contact my local polytechnic - will they know what I’m talking about for the Certificate or Diploma qualifications?

Your local Polytechnic should be more familiar with the IMNZ papers as they contained within the CertMgt or NZDipBus.  

Does the Open Polytechnic deliver the IMNZ papers in both qualifications?

The Open Polytechnic deliver the IMNZ CertMgt and NZDipBus papers. To check that all papers are offered with the exception of the Health paper please contact the Open Polytecnic of NZ.

How much will it cost?

This will vary between education provides and schools. You will need to contact them directly.

Is there any funding available to help me?

The qualifications are self-funded at this stage. Annually PMAANZ offers scholarships which members may apply for. For information regarding this look at our education page.

If I haven’t studied before, it’s been recommended that doing one paper a semester is a good idea to start off if I’m also working.

Definitely. Studying and working requires the student to use their time management skills to best effect. As you go along the course, you may wish to increase to two papers per semester if you find studying easy or if you have the additional time capacity to do so.

One paper per semester is also recommended if you haven’t undertaken formal study for a while.

How many hours a week will my commitment be?

Your education provider will be able to advise how many hours is recommended per paper. It is up to you depending on how much your have available to dedicate to your study.

I feel I can’t do this alone. Will there be any support for me?

All learning institutions provide students support to study through peer and tutor support. This may include individual or group support either on-line or fact to face.

You may find within your local branch who has completed the study who may be prepared to act as peer support for you.

What will I gain by having a qualification at Certificate or Diploma level?

You will gain a comprehensive, nationally and internationally recognised qualification in Health Management. This will give you tools to enhance your professional performance. Legislative/compliance requirements, HR, Health Economics, Knowledge of Accounting Practices, Treaty of Waitangi/Cultural Competence etc are all areas of knowledge a Practice Manager needs in order to operate effectively in the complex environment of health.